Skip to main content

carpe diem

New Day, New Oncologist

Despite waking up sore (and I am super sore from the 3 failed attempts to put a port in my neck yesterday), I am actually hopeful about my next doctor's appointment. 

It's time to meet what will hopefully be my new Onc?!?! My husband and I ended up going to this appointment together. Normally, I go to these alone. However, after the port debacle yesterday and the insanity of my medical journey just to get me here, I was feeling the need for some extra support. 

It turns out, the new Onc was super nice. He didn't try to placate me and was very honest about my cancer and the obstacles I have had to get here (from the way I had to fight for a biopsy and be heard to the fact I never got any real call from my Onc since my Fish (Her2) results came in). 

And while my original Onc's nurse has called to see about scheduling an appointment, my original Onc had never even taken the time to call me with my actual cancer results after the Her2 pathology came in. Think about that for a little bit... it has almost been a full week since she should have called me and I have gone to three different doctors, had a surgery, and have another surgery tomorrow. My cancer case is going to the Tumor Board tomorrow, and she hasn't called once. Not to tell me what I have or what I am about to do. Nothing. 

All of this and more is why I am out and about looking for an Onc that cares! At minimum, cares about me living or communicating with me. 

I ended up really liking this Onc today and feel like he is going to be a good fit for me. He was glad I was going to go to MD Anderson and was 100% supportive of me seeing as many doctors as I want and doing what I think is best for myself. 

And just like we suspected, with my type of cancer, we really can't wait around to start treatment. We need to get started as soon as possible. I let him know I was going to start treatment there with him - which means he start finalizing my plan. He let us know he was going to be at the Tumor Board in the morning and had already reviewed my case. At least I felt like someone was on my side at the meeting in the morning.

Plus, now I had an Onc which also meant I could let my other original Onc group know I had found care somewhere else. I ended up telling the Onc nurse (in a very nice way) and she was still rude to me on the phone. The phone call just solidified that I was definitely making the best decision for me.

Carpe Diem

Well, now off for a little bit of fun with my daughter and mom at the beach volleyball sand courts. It is a beautiful day, and I am going to attempt to get a little sunshine before I have my port procedure tomorrow... which I am still a bit worried about. I hope it will be successful and I also hope they won't kill me while I watch!

Getting a little Dead Poet's Society Inspiration


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

my longest hardest day yet

Get ready boys and girls... today is a doozy. And a long post too! But before we begin on one of the toughest days I've ever done, let's recap. Mon: Irritating Onc day where I was not told about suspicious fluid around lung/heart in time to get a biopsy & I got contradicting info from his NP the week before.  Tues: Spending the morning getting Immunotherapy and 2 Chemotherapies before going straight to the airport to fly to Houston and enduring long rental car lines and afternoon heavy traffic. A few more checks off this weeks list... a few more to go: Now back to my Wednesday... the Humpday I would like to forget! So, after 8 hours of cancer treatment, flying, and travel in congested Houston the day before, I didn't have much rest because we had to start Wednesday early. My husband and I decided to walk to the medical center since our hotel was close. However, it was not necessarily the easiest or closest walk - tons of traffic, intersections, and some strange indivi