Skip to main content

Fight. Laugh. Live.

Episode LXXVII - Are you ready boots? Start walkin'!

I left my afternoon Oncologist appointment with barely enough time to make it home and get my family ready for Relay for Life. Of course the people who decided to start roadwork during rush hour did not help me get home on time. Really... Friday... at 5?!?!

While I was thrilled with the "looking good" report from the doctor, I was also excited to get out there and walk for the American Cancer Society...

I am wearing my shirt!!!

My family got on our matching TaTa Warriors shirts and rushed out the door, minus dinner, to make the event on time. The kids got a snack, but I think that lack of dinner might cause some issues in a few hours for my two.

A friend of mine was also on her way to the event. Even though I decided only a few weeks ago to participate she opted to be walk with me. I was not surprised as she had taken me to most of my chemo treatments... she went through the cancer journey right with me.

Even though I hurt all over and my bones ached... I was able to walk and I was going too. Not only that, but I was extremely lucky to be sharing the event with some people I loved.

TaTa Warriors representing...

The night was full of fun events. I got to walk the first lap with other survivors and the second lap with my caregivers (my family). After that, I walked to walk. I should say I strolled slowly around and looked at all the team booths. That counts as walking... right?

One booth had a ping pong ball contest where the balls landed in bras for prizes... that was awesome!

Bra Pong... Save them all Big or Small!!

Food, live music, line dancing, balloon animals, and even men dressing up for cancer. The event went throughout the night. I made it until the late hours. By 10:30 pm we were all starving and decided to keep the party going with a late night dinner. I was not home until after midnight! I have not pulled a late nighter in a long time... I was going to pay for it the next day.

In my head...

In my reality, I paid for it for the rest of the weekend. I was exhausted! I slept until noon the next day - seriously! Despite my exhaustion, I was glad I did it.

Most of my family live hours away in another state and with my last minute decision to walk could not make it to the event. However, we decided that I would do another Relay for Life in their town next month. Guess I need to keep on walking!!!

More TaTa Warriors walkers in June...

I am so lucky to have so many people supporting me and they are my TaTa Warriors... they keep me fighting. laughing. living. Hence, three words on my shirt! I love: fight. laugh. live.

I will fight this. I will laugh through this. I will live... (and live joyfully)!!!

“There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.” 
- Albert Einstein

Episode Reference: These Boots Are Made for Walkin', Nancy Sinatra song

Learn more about Relay for Life here


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

here i go again... on my own

  It's Time for Chemo #1 Today ended up being the longest day I've ever had in treatment... ever. I started at 8am and finished around 4-4:30pm. LONG day.  I fully support getting your port ready about 30 minutes before treatment (ignore the 5-15 min suggestion on the Lidocaine box - give yourself 30 minutes to allow for more time and more numbing). So, for me, I apply the Lidocaine over my port and put a small square of Saran Wrap over it right before leaving to go to treatment. It takes me about 30 mins to get to my treatment center, so it gives it time to work. The Lidocaine helps numb the area so the needle will not hurt as much when poked and the Saran Wrap keeps the Lidocaine on your skin and not on your clothes. When I arrive to the treatment center on chemo days, it starts with a bit of bloodwork in the lab. They have to make sure your bloodwork is good before giving you chemo. I have a port, so they just hook me up with the right type of IV needle, take my blood sample