Skip to main content

What can one tiny shot do?

Episode XIV: Closer to Done

Neulasta was going to lasta...

It was just one tiny shot, that packed a punch.... the ultimate White Blood Cell Booster!

So, I arrived for my appointment and quickly moved to Short Term Treatment - which really gets you in and out fast! I had choices, so I picked out my chair and wait on the nurse.

Found my chair... ready for my shot please.

The nurse walked over with what appeared to be a small shot and began to explain what I was about to get and why, as well as what to expect. Neulasta, aids in making white blood cells which helps prevent infections while having chemotherapy. So, what was I to expect? Bone pain - check. Bone pain - check. And more bone pain - check. Ok, there were a few more side effects, but I figure at that point who cares!

Neulasta Shot - Learn More click here

So, I gave her a nice cushy part of my left-side tummy and without any pain, I got my tiny but powerful shot...

Neulasta shot.

So, the shot goes deep into the bone marrow and stimulated white blood cell growth. It makes them grow at a more rapid rate to help counter-effect the chemotherapy treatment I had the day before. I was glad the nurse explained that it goes into all the bones. While the larger bones tend to produce more pain, larger bones include the jaw, head, neck, shoulder, chest, back, legs, and essentially it can hurt anywhere. Below is a picture from the Neulasta video showing the effects of white blood cell growth... and it looks like it could possible hurt about everywhere....

Stimulating white blood cells all over in the bones... ok, that might hurt!

As a bonus, the nurse did look at my skin around the port and noticed that my skin was irritated from the bandage glue from the port surgery which had now created an irritation with anything else I put on it. She advised me to leave all bandages off and just let it air dry and heal up.

Seems that the only way to get rid of the bandage rash is to leave the bandages off.

Now, did the shot cause me pain? Of course it did. It didn't happen instantly, but it did happen. Apparently each time I get the shot the effects can be in different places. For me, that time, it started with my head, neck, shoulders area. Even the gentlest touch was wrenching. My hair moving hurt. The pillow caused me pain. My jaw began to hurt to eat. The chest and shoulders made breathing more difficult. Then it worked its way into my hips. Which created more pain when walking, but also sleeping. I would get in one position and begin to hurt, so I would roll to the other side. Then it would hurt and I would try my back. Overall, I rotated like a rotisserie chicken in my sleep like crazy.

It still could have been worse...

I give. My bones hurt.

In my head....

Ouch! That should be all I say, but it does eventually get better.A tip for those who hurt, take some Phenergren and sleep through as much of the pain as you can, it worked way better than pain medicine for me. I got the shot on Wednesday and by Saturday I was able to tolerate a shower and feel human. It took a good solid week to walk without major discomfort. But, I walked anyway... slow and steady. Keep on keeping on!

"He fought because he actually felt safer fighting than running."
- Richard Adams, Watership Down

Episode Reference: Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls song


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

my longest hardest day yet

Get ready boys and girls... today is a doozy. And a long post too! But before we begin on one of the toughest days I've ever done, let's recap. Mon: Irritating Onc day where I was not told about suspicious fluid around lung/heart in time to get a biopsy & I got contradicting info from his NP the week before.  Tues: Spending the morning getting Immunotherapy and 2 Chemotherapies before going straight to the airport to fly to Houston and enduring long rental car lines and afternoon heavy traffic. A few more checks off this weeks list... a few more to go: Now back to my Wednesday... the Humpday I would like to forget! So, after 8 hours of cancer treatment, flying, and travel in congested Houston the day before, I didn't have much rest because we had to start Wednesday early. My husband and I decided to walk to the medical center since our hotel was close. However, it was not necessarily the easiest or closest walk - tons of traffic, intersections, and some strange indivi