Skip to main content

Funcology... Oncology

Episode VI: A Cancer Within A Breast

Driving into the Cancer Institute was like driving into a private school campus. Beautifully landscaped, gorgeous buildings, and even a lovely water feature with a bridge. As I walked through the lovely cancer oasis, I thought I will be purchasing at least a new tree or two.

Only one tiny section of a very nice facility.

When I actually entered the building, I had to try and figure out where to go. The office was big and most people, "the regulars", knew the procedures and desks they were suppose to go to. I was new, so I had to ask a lot of people what to do and where to go next.

After I found the main desk, I checked in and paid my co-pay. Then I was directed to a lab area were I had to check in again and wait patiently for my blood to be drawn. I was called back where the nurse have to confirm my birthday. I verified I was myself and they also verified I was me. The lady who drew the blood was amazingly good. Since it was clear that all they do all day was draw blood - it showed in their handy work. The stick was painless and the 6-8 vials of blood taken where not even missed. Once she finished taping up my arm, I had no idea where to go. I asked the nurse what I was supposed to do and she said I was to wait in front of the door with my doctor's name on it. Simple enough!

Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Dorothea Tanning

The entire front lobby was essentially doors into the cancer zone. So, the hubby and I waited patiently in front of a door. Once called, I got weighed and my blood pressure was taken. We briefly spoke about my current medications, but primarily we waited on the Oncologist.

He repeated information I already knew from the breast surgeon meeting, which was the basic you have cancer. Basically, that meeting was to schedule multiple tests (PET & Cardiologist) to make sure that the cancer was isolated and that my heart was alright. The PET Scan was scheduled for the next day. The cardiologist was harder to schedule, so they could not see me until the following week on Tuesday. Meaning that my next Oncology appointment to answer all of these things would be next Wednesday!

The appointment was very brief. Almost too brief, it made me wonder if he was really looking at those tests and results I had completed. Of course, the only thing we really discussed was that I needed more tests. So, I realized he was just trying to wait until he got more information before giving me options, answers, or general information.

In my head...

There was so much information, but also so little. I understood I have cancer, but until they do more tests I don't really know much. I did not have any real answers for people around me, who want them, but I wanted to make sure that I have enough information to make the best decision.

So, I am playing musical doctors. In one doctor's office... and repeat.

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. 
I just wish he didn't trust me so much." 
- Mother Teresa

Episode Reference: A Dream Within A Dream - Edgar Allen Poe


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

my longest hardest day yet

Get ready boys and girls... today is a doozy. And a long post too! But before we begin on one of the toughest days I've ever done, let's recap. Mon: Irritating Onc day where I was not told about suspicious fluid around lung/heart in time to get a biopsy & I got contradicting info from his NP the week before.  Tues: Spending the morning getting Immunotherapy and 2 Chemotherapies before going straight to the airport to fly to Houston and enduring long rental car lines and afternoon heavy traffic. A few more checks off this weeks list... a few more to go: Now back to my Wednesday... the Humpday I would like to forget! So, after 8 hours of cancer treatment, flying, and travel in congested Houston the day before, I didn't have much rest because we had to start Wednesday early. My husband and I decided to walk to the medical center since our hotel was close. However, it was not necessarily the easiest or closest walk - tons of traffic, intersections, and some strange indivi