Skip to main content

Radiation Week 2

Episode LIX: It's Friday I'm in LOVE...

So another week down... another 5 zaps... 10 total radiation treatments!!!

2 weeks & 10 zaps down...

I have continued to have the same skin discomforts, but enjoy the good conversations with technicians and other fellow radiation patients. However, I am one of the young ones getting breast cancer radiation in or around my scheduled time. I keep saying to myself that my youthful energy is an asset!!!

Smiling through my treatments... go week 2!

I spent much of the week just going back and forth to treatment... following a pattern. I get kids to school, shower quickly, and drive to the treatment center. I go through my radiation routine and head home. Usually, I begin to get tired - especially by mid-week!!! So, then (if I have nothing planned) I embrace my exhaustion and nap...

Exhaustion = Nap time

By the end of the week, I was starting to peel. It was like a slight sunburn peel where a light layer of skin was ready to come off. When I took a shower on Thursday and Friday mornings the skin on my breast would turn white and was gently removed when I dried off. And by drying off I mean patting dry, the idea of rubbing was a not something I would consider and was even warned would be a bad idea. On Thursday, I even had a little extra skin get stuck to my tank top and peel off into my shirt... Yuck!

Dark tank top showed a combination of skin and dried aloe.

I finished another week of treatment with only mild to moderately irritated skin and some slight peeling. And the peeling (since it was light) actually made me feel slightly better. And now I was excited it was Friday, because I got my weekend pass from treatment!

Looking slightly pink after peeling on week 2!

In my head...

I am still refusing to wear a bra. I have had too many warnings that bra = disaster. So, I am slowly getting used to going into public all free-swinging. However, I always keep a rolled up, soft, cotton rag under my breast to prevent skin-to-skin contact. I was told that I should burn badly there due to having larger breasts. So, I am trying to prevent that and it seems to be working.

I am glad to be maintaining my redness and not progressing too much. I am so glad that I was able to have one of my friends along with me on a couple of visits where we got to eat and hang out. I was also provided an amazing meal by another friend, which really helped since cooking has become something less desirable to do as the week progresses. And for some reason my family wants to eat in the evening?!?!?

Let them eat cake...

“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” 
- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Episode Reference: Friday I'm in Love, The Cure song


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

here i go again... on my own

  It's Time for Chemo #1 Today ended up being the longest day I've ever had in treatment... ever. I started at 8am and finished around 4-4:30pm. LONG day.  I fully support getting your port ready about 30 minutes before treatment (ignore the 5-15 min suggestion on the Lidocaine box - give yourself 30 minutes to allow for more time and more numbing). So, for me, I apply the Lidocaine over my port and put a small square of Saran Wrap over it right before leaving to go to treatment. It takes me about 30 mins to get to my treatment center, so it gives it time to work. The Lidocaine helps numb the area so the needle will not hurt as much when poked and the Saran Wrap keeps the Lidocaine on your skin and not on your clothes. When I arrive to the treatment center on chemo days, it starts with a bit of bloodwork in the lab. They have to make sure your bloodwork is good before giving you chemo. I have a port, so they just hook me up with the right type of IV needle, take my blood sample