Skip to main content

Scan on this...

Episode LXXVI - Back on the chain gang...

Timed to get scanned again. Normally I get a chest exam, but today I get a more thorough view into my body since they are viewing the chest, abdominal, and pelvic regions. I get the full body works - well - mid-body works!

My breakfast was the breakfast of scanners... barium drink. One container I got to drink hours before the exam... thanks for the early wake-up time?!?! And the other has to be drunk during the hour before the procedure... thanks for requiring me to drink and drive?!?!?!


CT berry flavor prep was tasty compared to the Colonoscopy prep!

After arriving at the cancer center I made my way back for scanning. They put in my IV and injected some additional contrast for the bone scan later. Compared to anywhere I have ever gotten IVs the center was amazing. I think they may get too much practice on us patients. Has it become sad that I am grateful for places that give good IVs? A girl has to have priorities when she's getting stuck with needles all the time.

I made my way back to the CT room. Just like normal I got onto the table and talked to the tech. He asked me if I had ever had one of these... I almost laughed out loud. Of course I responded with a polite yes. Then I did the normal lay still and held my breath for small periods of time.

Why is it that when you are asked to hold your breath it seems a near impossible task? I can hold my breath, by choice, for long periods of time, but when asked to do it for procedures seconds feel like minutes!!

Afterwards I expected to hang around and have my bone scan. I was told to leave and come back... bonus! I headed home and had a little food and drank a lot of water. I needed to flush out all that barium and the tracer they injected earlier. The tracer was a tiny amount of a radioactive substance that will collect within the bone tissue at spots of abnormal physical and chemical change.

Again... I am radioactive... cool!

After a few hours I was back at the cancer center and brought back into the same room I had the MUGA scan in. Seems the same table that used gamma rays to look at my heart was going to look at my bones today. I climbed onto the table - the very hard table - and got as comfortable as possible, if that was possible. Then the table adjusted to my body. The top of the machine got as close to my body as possible. My nose was only inches away.

Similar to what I did except it felt like it was closer to me.

Then I did what I always seemed to do in scans - I remained perfectly still. The scan lasted somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour. The machine would scan a portion of my body and adjust until it went from my head to my toes. The most difficult part was lying on a hard surface. For some reason, that just never gets more comfortable.

In my head...

I was given barium, contrast, and tracer all before 10 am. I really hope that I gain some super cool superpowers from all of these procedures. I have not decided which would be my first choice, but they all sound awesome...

Seems they are trying to make me Hulk...

The one good thing about scans was that they are relatively painless. For many they are nerve-racking... I find them just another thing to do. I am not nervous or anxious about the results as I cannot change them. Worrying about something that I have no control over seems pointless. I just know that I will do what I need to do. If I am fine - great. If I am not - time for some more treatment. I am grateful that I am being monitored.

“I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” 
- Herman Melville, Moby-Dick; or, The Whale

Episode Reference: Back on the Chain Gang, The Pretenders song


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

More biopsies... where? down there?

Cancer survivors are always wondering and waiting to see if something is going to happen, so it is only natural to worry when something is "off". Then when something turns out to be abnormal more testing and follow-ups are needed. It seems like a continual wave of worries. Sometimes our worries turn out to be issues. Sometimes our worries turn out to be nothing. Either way, we are going to worry... it's just an issue of determining how much and when we should really worry. Finding out my endometrium lining was so thick meant I needed to get a biopsy. What's an Endometrial Biopsy? An endometrial biopsy is a medical procedure in which a small piece of tissue from the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) is removed for examination under a microscope. The removed tissue is examined for cancer or any other cell abnormalities.  Lucky me. Right?  Now I get to go back the GYN only a few days after my initial exa