Skip to main content

wreck, boom, bang

Life... so much has happened in my life since the last blog post. However, I had to write for a few reasons, but for now, I am going to focus on a few recent events. Hopefully, my journey might be what inspires or encourages someone out there to be their own best health advocate. 

It is kind of long, so I will share in a 3 Part journey.

You know you the best. And I had a sneaky feeling, something was off with me. I have had a few weird and annoying symptoms pop up around April this year. I fussed and complained to all my doctors. And in the back of my mind, I wondered. Maybe, just maybe, I was having some unconscious psychosomatic issues because I am right at the 10 year mark of finding my cancer. Was it all in my head?

I didn't have long to ponder the problem long. Life hit. My daughter got injured at camp. My son finished grad school and moved back home. My dad got really sick (not sure how much he wants me to discuss - but it has been tough). Hospital trips. Doctor appointments. My daughter finally got better and was in a few movies and back training in her sports. College trips with my daughter. Chiropractors. Doctor appointments for me, my dad, and my daughter too. Life was in full swing on full speed and was fully taking me it every direction.

Then once it seemed somewhat manageable, my daughter and I were in a rearended. My son got sick. More hospital trips and doctor appointments. And a ton of other life things happened too - 

a reminder, all those things listed happened within a few months

So, I am for sure somewhat crazy in the head... however, one of those things did make me think I might not be as crazy as I thought. 

When we were rearended, my husband was worried about both my daughter and myself and said we had to go to the hospital. She had hit head against the window next to her (and she was hurting). I had flung my head into my chest area (and I was hurting too). I am not going to get into all the car accident issues and the horrible day and night I had at the hospital with my daughter, myself, and my son... because we are still trying to figure out all the damage it caused (and it has been hard and sucky for my whole family for multiple issues). 

But I will say, the hospital ran a number of tests. While sitting in my room, I had the normal thoughts that most people have while waiting. But as a cancer survivor, there is always a lingering, "Please, don't let there be anything suspicious." And for the first time in a long time, a doctor came into my room with the I need to talk to you serious look. 

Poops about to get real for Me & My Daughter
He had the cautionary unsure look I have seen before. The look like, you better be sitting down because I have something to say look. I'm a parent - and gone through two rounds with teenagers - I'm a master of this look. 

He explained that I had some lymph nodes that looked suspicious, but no masses or tumors on my CT scan. There were issues with my axillary lymph nodes on my left side (a bunch of lymph nodes in my mesenteric and iliac... and a few other abnormal things). He says I need to call my Oncologist as he thinks I need a PET scan to be on the safe side. So, it wasn't bad bad news... but it was new news. 

I had a number of things show up on my scan. While some may be due to the accident, some may not be. I do know that just a few months ago I got the all clear on my mammogram and from the Oncologist during my regular check up appointments. And the last time I had CT scans done like this was in 2020 - none of these issues were on my scan. 

The last thing the nurse said to me as I was walking out was, "that car accident may be a blessing in disguise." Yikes, that didn't make me feel great. But it did make me leave the visit knowing it is time for me to do a bunch of calls and to not let this go.


Popular posts from this blog

giving your 16 year old scissors

New Traditions Losing my hair - it's going to happen. When I did this in 2013, I waited to cut my hair once I was further in treatment. I didn't want to do that again. I didn't want to do it while I felt sore and bad. This time, I wanted to get rid of my hair before treatment.  Since I will have now done this more than once, it can be considered a tradition: cancer haircuts by my kids . Last time I did this, the kids were 6 and 13. So, this time around my son (23) opted not to cut, but watched some.   However, my 16 year old daughter leapt at the opportunity to cut my hair. Even though 10 years have gone by, she had to adhere to a few basic rules. Basic Rules: 1. Do not cut my ears. 2. Do not cut your own hair. 3. Do not cut anyone else's hair. These rules still hold up and are the general agreement we make before I put scissors in my kid's hands to chop on my hair!  And the tradition isn't the same without going outside (weather permitting) and listening to our

happy birthday to me... almost

  Let's rewind a bit and start a few days before my birthday... I had my first cancer treatment day on October 3rd - check it out if you haven't read that blog post yet. Let's just think of it as an early birthday gift since my birthday is October 7th. Great gift, right?!? If I have to hear "Happy Early" or "Late Birthday" from another medical person, I might have to smack someone. Especially, since I have spent most of the weeks leading up to and after my birthday at a medical appointment regarding cancer. Not really loving my birthday this year. Let's just say, on my birthday, I woke up with a special chemo-side-effect-surprise at 2am. That fun surprise I will share later... Rewind a Few Days... Update But first, let's go to October 4th, the day after my grueling 8 hours of immunotherapy and two chemotherapies on the 3rd. I woke up swollen, red faced, and fevering, as well as feeling pretty crummy. I didn't have time to dwell on it since I

my longest hardest day yet

Get ready boys and girls... today is a doozy. And a long post too! But before we begin on one of the toughest days I've ever done, let's recap. Mon: Irritating Onc day where I was not told about suspicious fluid around lung/heart in time to get a biopsy & I got contradicting info from his NP the week before.  Tues: Spending the morning getting Immunotherapy and 2 Chemotherapies before going straight to the airport to fly to Houston and enduring long rental car lines and afternoon heavy traffic. A few more checks off this weeks list... a few more to go: Now back to my Wednesday... the Humpday I would like to forget! So, after 8 hours of cancer treatment, flying, and travel in congested Houston the day before, I didn't have much rest because we had to start Wednesday early. My husband and I decided to walk to the medical center since our hotel was close. However, it was not necessarily the easiest or closest walk - tons of traffic, intersections, and some strange indivi